Open Call: Web Based Art
Open Call is an initiative that highlights the production of experimental works of art, and opens the museum’s exhibitions and collection to new artists and forms. Each season ICA Miami highlights a different medium, offering an opportunity for artists at any stage of their careers to present work at the museum.
For the 2015 edition of Open Call, ICA Miami invited artists to submit original and engaging works of digital and web-based art. Digital art circumvents the traditional dominance of the gallery and museum system, delivering new forms of aesthetic experience while inquiring into contemporary systems of vision and distribution. The works selected for Open Call examine the structures and operations inherent to digital mediums, exploring the continued importance of traditionally interactive and de-materialized work.
On view from August 21 through September 13, 2015, Open Call: Web-Based Art reflects the museum’s ongoing commitment to providing an international platform for the work of both established and emerging artists, as well as advancing the public appreciation of the most innovative and experimental art of our time.
- Simon Castets, Director, Swiss Institute of Contemporary Art, New York
- Alex Gartenfeld, Deputy Director and Chief Curator, Institute of Contemporary Art, Miami
- Raphael Gygax, Curator, Migros Museum für Gegenwartskunst, Zurich
- Ceci Moss, Assistant Curator of Visual Arts, Yerba Buena Center for the Arts, San Francisco
- Willie Avendano, tamani [143.prt2], 2014
- Mike Bode & Takuji Kogo, American Sitcom, 2014
- AdrienneRose Gionta, My Big Fat Summer As A Skinny Hot Chick in Second Life, 2013
- Jillian Mayer, Tyler Madsen, and Erik Carter, Selfeed.com, 2014
- Dionysia Mylonaki, Voice Booth, 2013
- Byron Peters, Monodramas, 2014/2015
- Andrew Norman Wilson, Uncertainty Seminars, 2014
- Daniel Wilson, America Says Hello, 2015
- UBERMORGEN, Ziron, 2014
- Damon Zucconi, Slow Verb, 2015